3.12.2010

Finally Friday

Ya'll it is FINALLY Friday.  I don't know about you, but let me guess--this week slogged on for what seemed like an eternity?  And it was warm and sometimes sunny but now it's set to rain all weekend and you're sad about it?  Me too!

And no, the picture from GTC on the left of your screen has nothing to do with anything.  I'm just trying to make you want a cupcake.  ::reaches for Clif bar in cabinet, aka closest thing to cupcake::

Anyway, back to this week in most important somewhat food-related stories:

Un-DC related, I watched Sandwich Paradise on the Food Network---it made me really hungry but also was a good way to keep track of my future travels.  Primanti Brothers, I'm coming to get you! (After breakfast at Pamela's of course, WCP!)  And when my Google Reader says that Smitten Kitchen is new it really bums me out because I know I'm about to get super hungry, no matter the time of day.  Look at this breakfast pizza.  SERIOUSLY. 

Top Chef in DC?  For real?  Metrocurean brings us the story from the NY Post.  I'd like to think that this decision has something to do with the Capital Spice contest a while back--commenters tried to win stuff by shouting out ideas for DCTC in an effort to convince Bravo to bring it to the District.  For archiving sake, here were my thoughts (which did not win, for the record):

-Outdoor catering function at Mount Vernon or Monticello (or even Montpelier). -Michel Richard as guest judge/Chief Intimidator of the challenge.
-Involve the Kennedy Center.
-Chili quickfire whipped up in the kitchen at Ben’s.
-VA winetasting/pairing quickfire.
-Hill visits to talk about sustainable eating/cooking/growing with offices from contestants’ states/districts, followed by reception in the new Capitol visitor’s center.
-I’d like to see them in a dining hall with the director of dining/food services as a judge–GW doesn’t have one, so maybe Georgetown?


Aaaand after that sunny conversation, onto the gross.  Health inspection issues aren't pretty--The Examiner got the these reports from the Bureau of Community Hygiene.  Of course, even DiFara has been closed for health code violations, and it won't stop me from returning.  And if you don't want to worry about health codes and rules and compliance, just go to an underground dining establishment! The Post's mysterious article on exclusive invite-only supper clubs has been buzzing all week long.  Sounds fun.  I'm not upset about not being invited.  Honest...   sniff      sniff

In other news, I'm going to San Diego SOON!  I'll be carless, so I ask you: what is downtown and can't be missed?  I noted your recs from here.

Have a great weekend!  Don't let the rain bring you down.  In like a lion, out like a lamb.

P.S.  This is my 200th post.  A little slim for more than 2.5 years according to some people's rules, but I was..ahem...a serious student!  And poor!  And just doing this for fun.  Anyway, thanks for reading.  I'm having fun, and I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment