3.01.2009

Zola

Zola has bathrooms hiding behind a swinging piece of "wall." Shadows of PIs in fedoras and identical rooms that make you double-check whether or not you're actually looking into a mirror are the norm here.

Yup. It's next to the Spy Museum.

B and I agonized over where we'd do Restaurant Week lunch--she's a veg, so we wanted to make sure the vegetarian options would actually be worth the $20.09 lunch, and she didn't feel like having fish necessarily (like at Hook). We wanted a place that would be new to both of us, and exciting enough for our sophisticated guest from the Big Apple, L.

Zola offered their entire menu for RW. NICE.

First L and I had the soup of the day: roasted eggplant, tomato, and basil. I wasn't sure what to expect, but what I got was silky smooth and just a touch smoky. Really delish, and not too rich/creamy (a common offense with some tom/bas soup).


B noshed on the Butter Lettuce Salad, which was topped with gouda, almonds, oranges, and a flat, chip-like crouton.



For lunch, I enjoyed the grilled romaine salad with roasted chicken. It was good, but not out-of-this-world. To be honest, I went with a salad entree to ensure some room in the belly for dessert. Still, not the best grilled romaine I've ever had. B had the lobster mac and cheese, which I gather was delicious but veeery rich. And L had this unbelievably moist and flavorful lamb burger. It was so juicy and so well-seasoned, it was aaaamazing. L was also a huge fan of the tzatziki-esque sauce on the side.



Dessert was lovely. Pumpkin pecan roll (with brown sugar sour cream ice cream), key lime cheesecake (with tequila anglaise), and warm apple-quince pie (with gingersnap ice cream. My favorite was the pumpkin pecan roll.







My overall impressions: good service, restaurant is bigger than I thought, not too loud, full of ladies lunching, food was overall delicious--some things more than others, but still a very strong showing.

Zola
800 F St NW
Metro: Green, Yellow or Red Lines to Chinatown/Gallery Place. Or take a short walk from Archives/Navy Memorial or Metro Center.
Zola on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment