11.12.2010

Last Two CSA Weeks

The last two weeks of our CSA.  Wow, 8 weeks really flies by when you're looking forward to fresh and local produce. 

Green beans, tomatoes, pears, yams/sweet potatoes, pepper, apples, spaghetti squash, butternut squash.  We had a weekend guest and some friends over for dinner, so we used our haul for entertaining, mostly.  J&G butternut squash soup, sweet potato enchiladas, braised short ribs with a side of spaghetti squash with pesto and tomatoes--yes, mostly we ate orange food.  But the people did not complain!


This week the only tomatoes left were truly sad, so I let them be.  Instead I grabbed pumpkin butter, apples, a spaghetti squash, an acorn squash, and some peppers (that are in the fridge).


Said short ribs, during searing...



Oh yeah, and the pumpkin challah.  This beaut expanded in the oven and got misshapen, it wanted to crack in half.  But it was still delicious.  The smaller loaf and little rolls came out splendidly in appearance.

 
Overall I'm really happy we did the CSA.  Like I said last week, I'm not sure if I'd be as psyched if I didn't pick my own stuff.  But I think we'll try again, especially in the spring/summer. 

Hope everyone had a great week!

3 comments:

  1. Woah the pumpkin challah looks AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job braiding the challah! Did you let it rise again after braiding? This should help with the expansion problem. Also, I sometimes do a second egg wash halfway through baking to "touch up" the middle of the braid where it tends to expand/crack. Glad you enjoyed it! One of my faves. :)

    ReplyDelete