9.13.2010

Art & Soul

Chef Art Smith, former personal chef to Oprah and proprietor of Table Fifty-Two in Chicago, has been wowing DCers left and right since Art & Soul opened about two years ago.  I had no idea how close it was to Union Station--it's a little hidden, connected to the Liaison Capitol Hill hotel.  What a name.  It's asking for trouble.

The space at Art & Soul is sleek and sophisticated but doesn't feel stuffy at all.  It's funky! I also like the outdoor space. We recently went for brunch, because, you know that's how we roll. 



 And now, I give you this pull-apart monkey bread, hot, sweet, and sticky out of the cast iron pan.  Now THIS is how we should all start our days.




My corned beef hash was unlike some of the past (in PittsburghDenver, DC, and Brooklyn), these were one-inch cubes of corned beef and thin slices of potato, none of that chopped up shredded situation.  So delicious, so filling, and also--I'm sure we can agree--so beautiful.

Corned beef hash
ohlord mac & cheese
Ohhh the mac & cheese.  I've been wanting it ever since I saw it on the TV (either Best Thing I Ever Ate or 101 Tastiest Places to Chow Down: Presidential Edition), in all it's cheesy bubbly cast iron glory.  It was as good as I wanted it to be.  Let's go again!

Now for J's chicken & waffles.  Soooo delicious.  The chicken was awesome--crispy, meaty, slightly sweet, and piping hot.  The waffle was great, a little crispy on the edges and pillowy elsewhere.  The portion is also extremely generous.


J2 went a little light with the lemon ricotta pancakes and a side of fruit--named after Gayle King.  This prompted a lively discussion about whether Gayle is indeed Mayor Cory Booker's ladyfriend beyond casual state dinner date.  I say he's married to the Brick City.  I thought these were okay from my bite, but I'm not the biggest pancake person to begin with.  Unless it is covered with stuff.


I really liked Art & Soul, and I feel like it's a place I can add to the "no-fear" recommendation list.  It will be good, I don't have to worry.  And for an upscale but reasonably priced brunch the portions are more than generous.  They are downright huge.  And how about that monkey bread?  A complimentary little muffin or something goes a long way in customer happiness when this customer is concerned.  AND they are open for brunch on Saturday, unlike some other places I know.  I will be back for sure.

Art & Soul
415 New Jersey Ave NW
Metro: Red Line to Union Station

Art and Soul on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. I loved Art & Soul when we went, and your brunch looks droooooool, especially that corned beef "hash." And all your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angela! I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to going back. It's just my kind of place! I love brunch because it's usually so affordable and delicious, and afterwards I have a whole day ahead of me (to walk it off).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love happy hour there too! They have great deals on drinks, but also on their delicoius food. It's a nice treat if you work near Union Station because a lot of the other happy hour options are lacking. Now I can't wait to try brunch...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soooo going back there! I had the fried chicken and waffles when we went for brunch, but now I want that hash. Thanks for reminding me I need to eat there again.

    ReplyDelete